After a Take Action! tool was launched on www.greennewton.org on the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day, Mayor Fuller brought this good news to the attention of Newton residents. In her message on April 22, she wrote, “Green Newton has launched a Take Action! tool on its website here. Take a look at some suggestions for how we can lower our carbon footprint. (Fifty-nine percent (59%) of greenhouse gases produced in Newton come from households so our personal actions are crucial to becoming carbon neutral.)” Green Newton is grateful to Mayor Fuller for helping us to spread the word!
Our appreciation also goes to the Newton Cultural Alliance (NCA) for including a post in their e-bulletin, “Click here to check out Green Newton and ways that you can make Earth Day a part of every day.”
You might wonder why you are being asked to do this now if you have “already taken action”? Well, the answer is that this online tool offers:
- a central source of information for actions Newton households can take to reduce their climate impact, as well as data on our progress as a city
- a checklist of actions that you create and commit to completing
- tracking of actions you have completed and the amount of carbon emissions reduced
- the ability to challenge neighborhood groups to friendly ‘competition’
How to get started
- Visit www.greennewton.org and click on the Take Action! box.
- Sign up (create a username and password, and enter zip code).
- Check off the actions you have already taken.
- Make a list of ‘to do’ actions you will commit to doing.
- Invite friends and neighbors to join and make their own ‘to do’ lists.
- Check off each action as you complete it, and watch your carbon footprint go down.
One of the easiest actions you can take is to sign up for Newton Power Choice 100% Green Electricity. You can complete that action in a few minutes and check it off your ‘to do’ list for a big impact right away.
Please Take Action! today and help us to spread the word to your friends and your other community connections.