Newton’s expanded bag ordinance began on January 1, 2020 so it’s a good idea to come up with a system to help you remember those reusable bags. It takes getting used to, but easy once you make the commitment and have the habit down. Think of how ‘naturally’ we remember to bring along our wallet or keys. Here are some suggestions to help you develop a habit:
- Make the mental commitment to not enter the store unless you have your bags with you. Or, if you only have a few items, put them in your purse or carry the items in your hands.
- Buy multiple reusable bags and keep a set in the car. Once emptied of items, leave the bags by the door so that you can remember to take them back to the car.
- Put ‘bring bags’ on the top of your grocery list. Don’t get the second item on your list until you get your first item, even if they are still in the car.
- Put the bags on top of your wallet, purse or keys when you are heading to the store.
- Put several bags in the trunk of your car right after unloading your groceries so you never leave home without some.
- Put a post it note on the dash that reads ‘grab bags.’
- If you forget your bags and get to the check out, put your cart aside and walk out to the car. After losing your place in line a few times you will start to remember those bags!
- Use one as your purse to go into the store- put your purse (or the stuff from it) into the largest bag, along with the other bags.
- Fold the reusable bags and put them between the driver’s seat and the center console so they are readily available when you arrive at the store or market.