There are now two locations in Newton available 24 hours and 7 days a week to drop off your unwanted or expired prescription medications:
- The new medication kiosk at City Hall (1000 Commonwealth Ave.)- Look for a bright red kiosk located to the right of the steps at the main entrance of City Hall.
- The Police Station (1321 Washington St.) – The kiosk is located in the main entrance. Pill medications only, no sharps or liquids.
Here are some important reasons to clean out your medicine cabinet:
- Medicines in the home are a leading cause of accidental poisoning.
- More than 50% of people who misuse prescription painkillers get them for free or took them without asking from a friend or relative who had a prescription.
- 80% of new heroin users started out misusing prescription painkillers.
How to safeguard your medications:
- Keep prescription painkillers in a secure and safe place. Locked or hidden is best.
- Dispose of unwanted or expired medications right away.
- Don’t flush medications.
- Dispose of liquid medications by mixing them with inedible materials such as coffee grounds or kitty litter, then placing them in the trash.
Recently on Twitter
I just signed a @theactionnet petition: Gov. Healey- Declare No Future for Gas!. Sign here: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/nofutureforgas?source=twitter&