In 2017, the Newton City Council passed a Leaf Blower Ordinance. Below is a summary of the ordinance:
- All leaf blower operation at sound levels of 65 decibels or more are prohibited.
- All gas-powered leaf blowers are banned from Memorial Day through Labor Day. During that period, only one electric or battery-powered leaf blower per lot is allowed.
- Gas, electric or battery-powered leaf blowers labeled at or below 65 decibels are allowed from Labor Day to the day before Memorial Day.
- The permitted hours of use are Monday-Friday from 7am to 5pm, and Saturdays from 8am to 5pm.
- All leaf- blower use is prohibited on Sundays, except by residents on their own property between 9am and 5pm, and by owners of 30 or more contiguous acres of property between 9:30am and noon.
Leaf blower violations should be reported to Inspectional Services at 617-796-1061 and/or to the Newton Police Department at 617-796-2100—wait for the prompt for dispatch.
The ordinance includes the following penalties: 1st violation – written warning will be given to the person or company using the leaf blower; 2nd violation – $100 fine; 3rd violation – $200 fine; 4th and each subsequent violation – $300 fine. Property owners will be notified of the penalties.
For more information: visit www.newtonma.gov/leafblower.