After we posted information about National Cut Your Energy Costs Day, a Green Decade member questioned a recommendation on the list to use CFL bulbs. For the record we agree that the better choice is “to use the newer LED bulbs than CFLs, both because they last even longer and because they don’t contain the mercury that CFLs contain.” The full list is reprinted with our correction below.
- Weatherproof your home
- Replace old windows with new energy-efficient windows
- Replace old furnace with new energy-efficient furnace
- Properly maintain furnace
- Use solar heat if possible
- Turn down thermostats
- Turning off lights when leaving a room
- Use energy-efficient LED light bulbs
- Run dishwasher and washing machine only when fully loaded
- Lower water heater temperature
- Take shorter showers
- Unplug unused appliances
- Carpool whenever possible
These are just a few of the many ways to conserve energy.