2023 is upon us and we are experiencing more signs of climate change than ever. Make this year your year for taking bold steps to address climate change by cutting your use of fossil fuels. Here are 5 actions with the biggest impact that you can take to fight the climate crisis :
- Insulate your home, use high efficiency heating and cooling systems, and electrify by converting to heat pumps if your system is older. Start with a free home energy assessment.
- Walk, bike, and take public transportation when you can, and make your next car an electric vehicle.
- Cut down on meat and dairy consumption, and reduce food waste with meal planning and using leftovers. Compost your organics.
- Buy less stuff (especially plastic) and reuse what you have.
- Opt up to 100% clean electricity through the City’s Newton Power Choice program for a very easy but really big impact.
Check out the City of Newton’s 4 Our Future campaign (insulation, heat pumps, clean transportation, and renewable energy) and Green Newton’s Take Action! tool, with additional actions big and small. Whatever you resolve to do this year, make a commitment and do it. The planet, your family, friends, and you will be better for it.