Green Newton is part of a coalition, called Mass Power Forward, that is calling for bold and historic commitments to clean energy over the coming Massachusetts legislative session. At the same time, we need to make sure that we continue to reduce our use of fossil fuels and support communities in the transition from dirty energy and towards clean power.
The Mass Power Forward campaign supports an energy policy that:
● Advances Massachusetts toward a safer and healthier economy powered by 100%clean, renewable sources for heat and power, maximizing energy efficiency, demand reduction, energy storage, responsibly sited solar, wind on and off-shore;
● Combats climate change, keeping us on track to reduce global warming pollution by no less than 25% by 2020 and 80% by 2050;
● Reduces our dependence on polluting energy sources such as coal, oil, gas and nuclear power, burn technologies like biomass and trash incinerators, and all systems that generate power at the expense of public health; and prohibits public subsidies for new fossil fuel infrastructure;
● Democratizes our power grid, empowering everyday people to access, own and control locally generated energy; and prioritizes people over corporations, putting neighborhoods, families, and public lands over polluting energy industries;
● Ensures a just transition for workers and communities with retiring power plants and opens up the benefits of the green economy to low-income people and people of color.
We are environmental leaders, community development organizations, clean energy businesses, faith groups, neighborhood health and safety advocates, and Massachusetts families fighting for our future. We believe our state and region can power forward with clean, affordable, reliable energy and a thriving economy.
To read Mass Power Forward’s list of legislative priorities click on this link!