- This event has passed.
Zero Waste: An Achievable Goal for Newton
November 28, 2016 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Newton City Councillor Allison Leary (Ward 1) will facilitate a discussion that focuses on the goal of zero waste for Newton. More than 60 U.S. cities have adopted zero waste goals including San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland Oregon, and Austin Texas. Boston is also considering it.
The process sees waste as a resource that has value and takes a holistic approach towards managing it that includes:
- Reducing Consumption
- Maximizing Recycling
- Encouraging re-use and re-purposing of materials and products
- Working with manufacturers to have a plan for the end use of a product.
Panelists will include:
- Amy Perlmutter, who has developed and implemented innovative zero waste programs in New jersey, San Francisco and Chelsea MA.
- Kirstie Pecci, and environmental , real estate and municipal attorney, who in recent years represented more than 300 citizens opposing expansion of the Southbridge landfill.
- Waneta Trabert, Newton’s Recycling Manager. She is responsible for all things solid waste, including recycling, reuse, and yard waste for Newton residents, city facilities and area businesses.