- This event has passed.
Tapping the Creative Economy: Zoning, Arts, and Artisans
February 15, 2018 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
How can Newton’s zoning enhance arts & culture?
In 2017 the Newton Festival of the Arts showcased 100 performances and events, drawing over 1,000 attendees to the city. Zoning Redesign is an opportunity to establish a strong connection between creative uses and Newton’s built environment, with zoning serving as a tool to facilitate expansion of arts related uses.
On February 15 we will explore how Newton’s new Zoning Ordinance could:
• Include a purpose statement of supporting a vibrant cultural sector
• Define cultural uses, including newer use types like makerspaces
• Allow greater flexibility for cultural activities in zones
• Create a pathway for creating murals on private property
• Encourage new development to allocate 1% for the arts
• Allow live/work studios and create more affordable housing that could benefit artists
• Reduce barriers to cultural uses including parking requirements and encourage transportation options
• Consider an Arts & Culture District that could enhance economic development and deepen local cultural capacity.
Join the discussion at our next Zoning Redesign event on Thursday, February 15, “Tapping the Creative Economy: Zoning, Arts, and Artisans”. Preview the event topics below and RSVP for the event today!