The City of Newton is seeking volunteers to assist in an educational cart-top sticker campaign in 2021. In our ongoing effort to reduce recycling contamination, large stickers informing residents of what is acceptable in the green carts will be applied on all recycling carts.
Since we’re going to be at the curb, we’ll also be gathering some data. Data collection on trash and recycling carts throughout the city is needed to best understand how these services are functioning and can be improved, with an emphasis on waste reduction.
Details about the project:
- Volunteers will walk neighborhood routes (assigned), adhere stickers to recycling carts, lift cart lids and document observations. This is not an enforcement project.
- The soonest the stickering project will start is May 24 and will run through at least September. The volunteer hours/days are from 7am – 10am Monday through Friday. We are looking for volunteers who can commit to walking a minimum of one route per week. We’re looking for as many volunteers as we can get, with the ultimate goal of placing stickers on every recycling cart in Newton.
- Volunteers will use a smartphone app to track the observational data. (One can be provided if needed.)
- In case of rain, the day’s routes will be cancelled.
By volunteering, you will:
- assist in spreading recycling education to reduce recycling contamination,
- engage with your community in a safe, physically distanced way,
- gather information that will help inform future decisions regarding Newton’s waste and recycling collection services,
- and get exercise and spend time outside by walking neighborhood routes.
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill in your information in this survey.
If you would like more details, email Erica at firstname.lastname@example.org.